Current Professional Activities
- Associate Professor of Public Health, Dept. of Veterinary Microbiology and Preventive Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University.
- Zoonoses and public health consulting.
- International development that incorporates animal health and human health. Focusing on poorer countries.
Past Professional Activities
- Heavy into the field of agroterrorism and bioterrorism from 2000-2006. Consulted for several companies, FBI, USDA, and DHS on agroterrorism. Designed and taught a course on agroterrorism for the Naval Postgraduate School.
- Practiced for 7 years in emergency medicine in Tucson, AZ after graduation.
- Spent 2 years researching plague in Arizona (camping and trapping and testing rodents).
- Wife, Kristina August, DVM (classmate in vet school). She runs a part-time, low-stress small animal housecall business from our home and I play tech in my free time. She's on VIN all the time, but never seems to visit the public health boards.... go figure.
- Two daughters: Jordan and Kira
Let me think about that ... wait, maybe that's a quote in itself!
What I Like Most About VIN
Learning as I try to help others, the camaraderie, the caring about making our work better.