VETzInsight

Bee Stings and Insect Bites: First Aid

December 31, 1994 (published) | March 10, 2017 (revised)

Any insect or spider can cause problems if they bite or sting your pet. A bite or sting can cause swelling, redness, and itching. Some animals can have an allergic reaction to a sting or bite that may result in mild hives, facial swelling, vomiting, difficulty breathing or even collapse.

Photo of honeybee courtesy of Natalie Rowe

What to Do:

  • If the stinger can be found, scrape it out with a credit card or other stiff material. Alternatively, use tweezers by grasping the stinger, which is located below the venom sac. If the sting just happened, don't put pressure on the venom sac, as that would inject more of the venom into the pet.     
  • Apply cool compresses to the area.  
  • To help neutralize some of the acidic venom, apply a paste mixture of baking soda and water to the sting area. 
  • Your pet should be examined immediately by a veterinarian if there is facial swelling, breathing difficulty or collapse.

What NOT to Do:

  • Do not administer any medications without first contacting your veterinarian or a veterinary emergency hospital. The veterinarian may need to examine your pet before recommending medications.

VIN News Service commentaries are opinion pieces presenting insights, personal experiences and/or perspectives on topical issues by members of the veterinary community. To submit a commentary for consideration, email news@vin.com.



Information and opinions expressed in letters to the editor are those of the author and are independent of the VIN News Service. Letters may be edited for style. We do not verify their content for accuracy.




 
SAID=27