Course Open: January 1, 2019 – December 31, 2019
Level and Prerequisites: This advanced course is designed for those credentialed veterinary technicians pursuing their VTS-Nutrition or those experienced veterinary technicians (and their veterinarians) with a high level of nutritional knowledge in canines and felines.
VSPN CE Course: Open to VIN and VSPN members.
This course has been RACE approved for veterinary technicians/technologists.(22-33120) Course Description:
This course will focus on inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) in feline and canine patients. We will discuss typical clinical signs, diagnostic techniques, potential complications, treatment, and nutritional intervention. We will also discuss the veterinary technician's role in managing the treatment of this disease.
This course will consist of a non-interactive segment that includes handouts to be read, 2 videos, handouts of the slides and a mandatory end of course test. To earn a certificate of participation, you must attain a score of 80% or higher on the end of course test. Participants must complete participation requirements by December 31, 2019 to be eligible to earn a certificate of participation.
Segment 1: Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Total time: 1.5 hours
- Discuss the complications and nutritional deficiencies associated with IBD
- Develop a feeding plan for canine and feline patients based on their individual requirements
- Discuss and demonstrate ability to recognize the need for nutritional intervention when indicated
- Describe the clinical signs associated with IBD
- Compile potential diagnostics with attending veterinarian
- Demonstrate knowledge of treatment plans used for patients suffering from IBD
Ann Wortinger, BIS, LVT, VTS (ECC, SAIM, Nutrition) is a published author and has veterinary technician specialty certifications in Emergency Critical Care, Small Animal Internal Medicine, and Nutrition. Her experience in general, emergency and specialty practices, as well as in education, provides solid experience in teaching the various aspects of nutrition. She is president-elect of the Academy of Veterinary Nutrition Technicians (AVNT). Ann is currently working as a private consultant, veterinary technology instructor and mentor. Total CE Credit: 1.5 Tuition: $33
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on December 1, 2019 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached.
*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- Each person is individually responsible for his/her own registration. To ensure that all information received is secure and correct, please do not enroll for a course on behalf of another individual.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
Course withdrawal and refund policy: A complete refund of the paid course price will be issued when your withdrawal request is received prior to the listed start date of the course. If you wish to withdraw after the start date please contact the VIN office 800-846-0028 ext. 792 to discuss eligibility for a pro-rated refund.*For more information on VSPN's upcoming CE courses, check the VSPN Course Catalog. Lisa Kernaghan, LVT, RVT, CVT, VTS (ECC)
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357