Course Open: January 1-December 31, 2022
Total CE Credit: 1.5
RACE Category: 1.5 hours Non-Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
This course will cover the regulatory landscape of using antibiotics in food animals. It is designed to be a companion course to the food animal antimicrobial resistance webinar. The course will cover applicable United States regulations as well as the history of how we got to where we are today. There will be a detailed discussion of the Veterinary Feed Directive (VFD) regulations and a walk-through of how to write a VFD. To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the course will take a minimum of 97 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by December 31, 2022 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- Explain US restrictions for antibiotic use in food animals.
- Identify antibiotics with ELDU restrictions in the United States.
- Write a legal VFD.
- Explain what each section of the VFD is for.
- Describe the veterinarian requirements for VFDs.
- Explain how medicated feeds are handled in minor species.
Accreditation: This non-interactive course is approved for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians. (RACE 20-800067) Course Agenda: Module 1: Regulations & Oversight (USA)
Total Time: 47 minutes
Video: 37 minutes
Handouts (1): 10 minutes
Module 2: Veterinary Feed Directive
Total Time: 26 minutes
Video: 26 minutes
Module 3: VFD Records, Responsibilities, and Details
Total Time: 14 minutes
Video: 14 minutes
Module 4: End of Course Test
Total Time: 10 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. Module 5: Course Evaluation
To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive self-study CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements.
Tuition: VIN Member $35
Prices are listed in US dollars. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357