Course Open: January 1-December 31, 2021
Total CE Credit: 6
RACE Category: 6 hours Non-Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
Most education geared toward a veterinary hospital is centered on medicine. Although that is very important, we must not forget a veterinary hospital is also a BUSINESS. The financial success of a veterinary hospital has more to do with being a success business man or woman than being a successful veterinarian. This course is designed to help either a veterinarian or practice manager learn how to manage the BUSINESS of the veterinary practice. By doing so, the practice should become more profitable and less stressful for the owner. This is the second of several management series on improving a veterinary practice profits and thereby creating wealth for the owner. This course will build upon what was learned in the Practice CEnts Module 1: Building Wealth – Basic Accounting course; we will learn more tools and structure these tools so we can make better management and financial decisions and thus more profitable decisions for the practice. To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the course will take a minimum of 254 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by December 31, 2021 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand the basic material of this course.
- calculate straight line and accumulated depreciation.
- understand the difference between depreciation and amortization.
- correctly log both into accounting journals.
- enter debt into books correctly.
- understand how to pay off debt correctly.
- recognize the benefit of using programs like Quickbooks for payroll.
- accurately record payroll in their accounting books.
- track payroll to improve profitability of their practice.
- understand the advantages and disadvantages of leasing.
- calculate the hidden costs of a lease.
- understand how assets relate to profits.
- learn how to avoid and improve debt imbalance.
- make financial choices that will increase profit to the practice.
- read and understand financial statements.
- use financial statements to measure financial performance.
- understand how often financial statements should be looked at.
- use Financial statements to budget for profit.
- transform annual budget to a monthly budget.
- understand the difference between profit and operating profit.
RACE Accreditation: This non-interactive course is approved for 6 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 22-42997)
This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. (VHMA 20-42) Course Agenda: Module 1: Lesson 1
Total Time: 4 minutes
Video: 4 minutes
Module 2: Lesson 2
Total Time: 32 minutes
Video: 32 minutes
Module 3: Lesson 3
Total Time: 27 minutes
Video: 27 minutes
Module 4: Lesson 4
Total Time: 27 minutes
Video: 27 minutes
Module 5: Lesson 5
Total Time: 22 minutes
Video: 22 minutes
Module 6: Lesson 6
Total Time: 31 minutes
Video: 31 minutes
Module 7: Lesson 7 Part 1
Total Time: 36 minutes
Video: 36 minutes
Module 8: Lesson 7 Part 2
Total Time: 60 minutes
Video: 60 minutes
Module 9: End of Course Test
Total Time: 15 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. Module 10: Course Evaluation
To learn more about the requirements for earning a non-interactive self-study CE certificate, please refer to Non-Interactive CE Certificate Requirements.
Enrollment is closed.
- Blackwell's Five Minute Veterinary Practice Management Consult.
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $138
Prices are listed in US dollars. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357