A captive-born 13-year-old female emperor tamarin was presented for abdominal swelling. Abdominal ultrasound demonstrated a cystic mass adjacent to the liver. Abdominal exploratory revealed hundreds of cystic structures engulfing the entire gastrointestinal tract, attached to the parietal peritoneum, and free floating in the abdomen. Histopathology confirmed cestode larval cysts. The cysts are Taenia cysticerci. The proposed life cycle is discussed.
The authors would like to thank the zookeepers of the Santa Ana Zoo for their assistance in their care of this animal.
1. Bröjer CM, Peregrine AS, Barker IK, Carreno RA, Post C. Cerebral cysticercosis in a woodchuck (Marmota monax). J Wildl Dis. 2002;38:621–624.
2. Hobbs TR, Colgin LM, Maginnis GM, Lewis AD. Abdominal cysticercosis in a rhesus macaque (Macaca mulatta). Comp Med. 2003;53:545–547.
3. Hough I. Subcutaneous larval Taenia serialis in a ring-tailed possum (Pseudocheirus peregrinus). Aust Vet J. 2000;78:468.
4. Payan-Carreira R, Silva F, Rodrigues M, dos Anjos Pires M. Cysticercus tenuicollis vesicle in fetal structures: report of a case. Reprod Domest Anim. 2008;43:764–766.
5. Schwan EV, de Scally MP, van Rensburg CL, Durand DT. Cerebral cysticercosis in a cat. J S Afr Vet Assoc. 2002;73:219–221.
6. Tsubota K, Nakatsuji S, Matsumoto M, Fujihira S, Yoshizawa K, Okazaki Y, Murakami Y, Anagawa A, Oku Y, Oishi Y. Abdominal cysticercosis in a cynomolgus monkey. Vet Parasitol. 2009;161:339–341.
7. Wolf A, Rovira AR, Miller KL, Widmer WR. What is your diagnosis? Two well-circumscribed, mineralized opacities in the left caudal quadrant of the abdomen. J Am Vet Med Assoc. 2002;221:357–358.