Comparison Between Two Surgical Techniques for Dogs Castration
WSAVA 2002 Congress
*Patricia Uébe Mansur, João Cardoso de Melo, Francimara de Araújo Mariano, Vera Cardoso de Melo, Jorgeamado de Almeida Santos
*Control of Center of Zoonosis - City Hall of Campos dos Goytacazes
Rio de Janeiro, BR
cczdirecao@censanet.com.br

OBJECTIVES

This paper intends to compare two surgical techniques used in the castration of canines, to verify the postoperative results of each one and to establish the ideal age for such surgical procedure.

MATERIALS

There were 25 canine castrated in the Center of Control of Zoonosis and Environmental Surveillance "Dr. Arnaldo Rosa Vianna " / Municipal Health Bureau of Campos dos Goytacazes, Rio de Janeiro - Brazil. Among the 25 animals (100%), 12 (48%) were under 06 months old and 13 (52%) older than those. The technique of unique incision was used, cranial to the scrotal sac in 16 animals (64%), being 10 under 06 months old and 06 in adult animals. Comparing to this, it was used the technique of bilateral incision in the scrotal sac in the 09 remaining canines (36%), being 02 under 06 months old, and 07 adults.

RESULTS

It was verified that in the submitted animals (64%) to the technique of cranial unique scrotal sac incision, there was smaller local inflammatory reaction (edema) when compared to the animals submitted (36%) to the technique of bilateral of the scrotal sac incision. It was also observed that as younger the animal is, better will be the postoperative result.

CONCLUSION

It was concluded that the technique of unique cranial incision to the scrotal sac, is more advantageous because it provides better postoperative results, smaller infection risk and smaller operative cost.

Speaker Information
(click the speaker's name to view other papers and abstracts submitted by this speaker)

Vera Cardoso de Melo
Control of Center of Zoonosis - City Hall of Campos dos Goytacazes

Jorgeamado de Almeida Santos
Control of Center of Zoonosis - City Hall of Campos dos Goytacazes

Francimara de Araújo Mariano
Control of Center of Zoonosis - City Hall of Campos dos Goytacazes

João Cardoso de Melo
Control of Center of Zoonosis - City Hall of Campos dos Goytacazes

Patricia Uébe Mansur
Control of Center of Zoonosis - City Hall of Campos dos Goytacazes
Avenida Presidente Vargas, 180 - Pecuária
Campos dos Goytacazes, Rio de Janeiro 28053-100 BR


MAIN : : Surgical Techniques for Dog Castration
Powered By VIN
SAID=27