Course Open: April 26, 2021-June 3, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Mondays May 3, 10, 17, and 24,2021: 9-10:30PM ET World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 6
RACE Category: 6 hours Medical
This course is designed for veterinary technicians to review the anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system in dogs and cats, understand diagnostic procedures and treatments of respiratory diseases, and get tips and tricks for educating clients on respiratory diseases.
- Identify the anatomy of the upper and lower respiratory system
- Understand common respiratory diseases in dogs and cats including: bronchitis, pneumonia, feline herpes virus, rhinitis, collapsing trachea,
- Understand how to obtain samples for respiratory testing including PCR, cultures, biopsy, or cytology using equipment including culture swabs, endoscopy, and radiology
- Understand treatment options including medication administration, surgical intervention, and how to relate that information to clients for long term success of patients
RACE Accreditation: This program has been approved for 6 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval.(20-772441)Course Agenda:
Week 1 (Real Time Session May 3): Anatomy & Physiology of the Upper Respiratory Tract
Required reading (prior to May 3): Review Respiratory Diseases in the VSPN Notebook
This session will have a review of upper respiratory anatomy and physiology. We will discuss common diseases and conditions that can affect the upper respiratory tract.
Week 2 (Real Time Session May 10):
Anatomy & Physiology of the Lower Respiratory Tract
Required reading (prior to May 10): Review Respiratory Diseases in the VSPN Notebook
This session will have a review of lower respiratory anatomy and physiology. We will discuss common diseases and conditions that can affect the lower respiratory tract.
Week 3 (Real Time Session May 17):
Respiratory Diagnostic Techniques
Required reading (prior to May 17):
Review Endoscopy in the VSPN Notebook
Review Blood Gasses in the VSPN Notebook
In this session we will discuss how to obtain samples for respiratory testing including PCR, cultures, biopsy, or cytology. We will go over the uses and benefits of using equipment such as rhinoscopy, bronchoscopy, CT scan, fluoroscopy for respiratory diagnosis.
Week 4 (Real Time Session May 24):
Respiratory Treatments and Client Education
In this session we will discuss in-hospital therapies including topical, oral, and inhaled medications, nebulization and coupage techniques, and risks/benefits of surgical intervention such as stenting. We will also discuss ways for clients to be successful at home with recommended respiratory therapies.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Tuition: $126 ($113 early bird special if enrolled by April 12, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars.
* Students currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357