Course Open: September 9, 2021-October 10, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Thursdays September 16, 23, and 30, 2021: 9-10:30 PM ET World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 4.5
RACE Category: 4.5 hours Medical
Attention all veterinary personnel that work in an ICU setting! Are you looking to brush up your ICU knowledge? Maybe you are a new graduate that would like to be a bit more prepared for your first job. This bootcamp may just the ticket for you!
This course is designed to review what essential knowledge and skills veterinary technicians/technologists need to be prepared on day one, working in the small animal critical care setting. This course will focus on the concepts of critical patient monitoring, nursing care procedures, patient rounds, medical record keeping, and ICU checklists and care bundles.
This course will consist of three (3) Real Time Sessions of ninety (90) minutes each, supplemental library materials, interactive message board discussions, a mandatory end-of-course test, and may include multiple choice quizzes (after each Real Time Session).Learning Objectives: Upon completion of this course, the participant should be able to:
- Understand how to provide critical patient care and monitoring.
- Follow technical steps for nursing care procedures.
- Identify what information is included in patient rounds.
- Identify aspects of medical recording keeping and nursing notes.
- Recognize ICU checklists and patient care bundles.
- Utilize ICU bootcamp concepts in the clinical setting.
Course Prerequisites: none
RACE Accreditation: This program has been approved for 4.5 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval. (20-844203)Course Agenda:
Week 1 (Real Time Session September 16): Critical Patient Monitoring
This session will focus on the aspect of critical patient monitoring Kirby’s Rule of 20 by reviewing each parameter and discussing implementation.
Week 2 (Real Time Session September 23):
Nursing Care Procedures
This session will focus on the aspect of nursing care procedures that are commonly performed on critically ill patients
Week 3 (Real Time Session 30):
Critical Patient Care
This session will focus on the aspects of patient rounding, medical record keeping, and ICU checklists that can be utilized for patient care.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Tuition: $95 ($86 early bird special if enrolled by August 26, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars.
* Students currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357