Course Open: September 14, 2020-December 31, 2020
Self Paced Course no Real Time Sessions
Level and Prerequisites: This intermediate course will be open to veterinary technicians/technologists, support staff, etc. - actively interested in anesthetic monitoring.
VSPN CE Course: Open to veterinary technicians/technologists and support staff.
“This course has been RACE approvaled for veterinary technicians/technologists.(22-43758) Course Description:
Course Information: Technicians interpret data from anesthetic monitors on a routine basis. This 1-hour presentation covers various monitoring modalities used in assessing the anesthetized patient, as well as common pitfalls and precautions that should be taken while interpreting the data provided by them. Monitoring modalities discussed include esophageal stethoscope, ECG, blood pressure, pulse oximetry, capnography and temperature. Anesthetic Monitors—Understanding Their Use & Limitations
Objectives: Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to:
- Explain physiologic process associated with each type of monitoring modality and identify various ways to measure them.
- Understand carbon dioxide physiology as relevant to measuring ETCO2.
- Discuss various monitoring methods for ETCO2).
- Develop skills to troubleshoot equipment, identify malfunction and avoid misinterpretation of the data provided by it.
- Recognize normal physiologic parameters and identify minimum acceptable values for esophageal stethoscopes, ECG, blood pressure, pulse oximetry, capnography, and temperature for anesthetized small animal patients.
To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook: There is no required textbook for this course. About the Presenter:
Heidi Reuss-Lamky, LVT, VTS (Anesthesia & Analgesia, Surgery), FFCP graduated from Michigan State University’s Veterinary Technology Program in 1984. She has extensive experience in general practice, and since 1993 has devoted her technical expertise to the surgical department of specialty hospitals. She has been affiliated with Oakland Veterinary Referral Services in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, since 2006. Heidi is a prolific author and lecturer, presenting anesthesia, surgical nursing, and Fear Free-related topics at veterinary meetings worldwide. She most recently published Chapter 8, “Waste Anesthetic Gas Collection and Consequences,” in Veterinary Anesthetic and Monitoring Equipment, edited by Kristen Cooley and Rebecca Johnson. Heidi is an ardent advocate for the veterinary technology profession, serves as a consultant for many allied veterinary industries, and was honored to receive the 2013 NAVC Dr. Jack L. Mara Memorial Lecturer award. Heidi currently shares her home with her husband, Bryan, and 3 dogs, 2 cats, an African grey parrot and pond koi. In her spare time, she enjoys horseback riding, gardening, travel, lecturing, and quenching her never-ending thirst for knowledge. Total CE Credit: 1
Tuition: $21 *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on December 1, 2020 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- Each person is individually responsible for his/her own registration. To ensure that all information received is secure and correct, please do not enroll for a course on behalf of another individual.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357