Course Open: January 20, 2021-February 6, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Wednesday, January 27, 2021; 8:30-10PM ET
Course RTS Times in Your Area: World Clock Converter Level and Prerequisites: This intermediate course is focused on veterinary technicians and support staff who are interested in a better understanding of the use of blood transfusions in small animal emergency medicine.
VSPN CE Course: “This program has been approved for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval. (20-757373)“ Course Information:
This course will cover the indications for various transfusions. Attendees will gain an understanding of why we perform cross matching and typing as well as how to perform these tests. We will also discuss steps and protocols for performing transfusions including transfusion setup and monitoring for transfusion reactions. Week 1 (Real Time Session January 27): ER Series – Transfusion Medicine
Objectives: Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to
- Understand the indications for various types of transfusions.
- Understand the importance of blood typing and cross matching.
- Understand how to perform blood typing and cross matching.
- Understand how to monitor patients receiving transfusions of all types.
- Understand how to recognize transfusion reactions.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course. About the Presenter:
Dave Cowan BA, CVT, VTS(ECC) graduated from UMass Amherst in 1995. After moving to NH, in the span of 20 years, he worked for an educational farm, the Animal Rescue League, a general practice, and an emergency practice. In 2013, Dave passed the Academy of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Technician (AVECCT) exam and became a Veterinary Technician Specialist (VTS) in Emergency and Critical Care. In 2016, Dave moved to North Carolina to become a technician supervisor at the Veterinary Specialty Hospital in Cary. Dave joined the Triangle Veterinary Referral Hospital to become their Education and Training Coordinator in 2018. Dave has worked the last year at a veterinary technology program and is now working with Action Vet Tech Services providing relief services as well as CE and onsite training. Total CE Credit: 1.5
Tuition: $32 ($29 early bird special if enrolled by January 6, 2021)
* Enroll in both modules by January 20, 2021 and receive a 15% discount off the original course price.
* Students currently enrolled in and taking at least 2 classes or 5 units at an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on January 27, 2021, at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- Each person is individually responsible for his/her own registration. To ensure that all information received is secure and correct, please do not enroll for a course on behalf of another individual.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357