Enrollment is closed.
Presenter: Jeff Backus. RVT. VTS(ECC)
Course Open: January 13, 2021-January 30, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Wednesday, January 20, 2021; 8:30-10PM ET
Course RTS Times in Your Area: World Clock Converter Level and Prerequisites: This intermediate course will be open to veterinary technicians/technologists and support staff who are interested in a better understanding of the use of fluids in small animal emergency medicine.
VSPN CE Course: “This program has been approved for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval.(20-757365) “ Course Information:
This lecture covers all aspects of fluid therapy including fluid types, fluid requirements, and fluid plan calculations involving real-life cases. We’ll discuss perfusion parameters, evaluating response to fluid therapy, and monitoring for fluid overload. Week 1 (Real Time Session January 20): Fluid Therapy is a Fluid Situation
Objectives: Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to
- Explain perfusion parameters.
- Discuss the differences in different types of commonly used parenteral fluids.
- Understand how to create and calculate a fluid plan.
- Discuss how to monitor a patient on fluids and evaluate their response to therapy.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course. About the Presenter:
Jeff Backus, RVT, VTS(ECC) started as a veterinary assistant in general practice in 1995. He began working in ECC in 2004. He became an RVT in 2009 and was an ER/ICU Supervisor at Animal Urgent Care for over 12 years. Jeffrey also taught part time at his alma mater, Heritage College, for 7 years. In 2013, he became credentialed as a VTS(ECC), sat on the AVECCTN exam committee for 3 years, was the committee chair of the credentialing committee for 3 years. He has been on the Board of Directors for the California RVT Association for 6 years, currently serving as President. For the past few years, he has been in academia, working as an ECC technician at the Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine. Currently he is a CVT for ASPCA Animal Poison Control. In 2019, he co-founded the Vet Tech Café podcast with Dave Cowan. He is also a frequent lecturer and speaker on all topics related to emergency and critical care, with a focus on toxicology, ECG, pain management, and endocrine emergencies. Total CE Credit: 1.5
Tuition: $32 ($29 early bird special if enrolled by December 30, 2020)
* Enroll in both modules by January 20, 2021 and receive a 15% discount off the original course price.
* Students currently enrolled in and taking at least 2 classes or 5 units at an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on January 20, 2021, at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- Each person is individually responsible for his/her own registration. To ensure that all information received is secure and correct, please do not enroll for a course on behalf of another individual.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357