Course Open: January 2, 2021 - December 31, 2021
Total CE Credit: 1.5
RACE Category: 1.5 hours Medical
The responsibility of surgical instrument care is often thrust upon veterinary technicians and assistants. During this course you will learn the science behind and importance of proper surgical instrument processing, including discussion on packaging materials, the role of ultrasonic cleaning devices and appropriate use of steam sterilization. Various methods to assure quality control during the sterilization process are also discussed in detail. This information is beneficial for those wanting to ensure they are following industry standards regarding proper sterilization practices or interested in pursuing a surgical specialty through the Academy of Veterinary Surgical Technicians.
- Describe industry standards for surgical instrument care.
- Describe the steps for appropriate cleaning of surgical instruments.
- Identify the role of ultrasonic cleaners.
- Describe the criteria for selecting packaging materials for surgical packs and instrumentation.
- Explain the correct way to use and maintain steam sterilizers.
- Identify methods to verify sterility.
“This program has been approved for 1.5 hours of non-interactive continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval." (22-39472) Course Agenda:
Segment 1: Sterilization is Instrumental
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Prices are listed in US dollars.
*To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on December 31, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached.*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357