Course Open: January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2019
Level and Prerequisites: This intermediate course is open to VIN and VSPN members with an interest in surgery in food and fiber animals.
VSPN CE Course: Open to Open to VIN and VSPN members.
This non-interactive course has been RACE approved for Veterinary Technicians/technologists. (22-33309) Course Description:
The veterinary technician plays a vital role on the surgical team. Knowing all aspects of the food animal surgery process, from what instruments are needed to how to safely recover the patient is key to a safe and successful outcome. This course will cover some of the most common surgical procedures done on food and fiber animals, and the equipment used.
This course will consist of a segment in 4 parts; each part has a video, handouts, and a quiz pertaining to that family of animal. There is also a mandatory end of course test. To earn a certificate of participation, you must attain a score of 80% or higher on the end of course test. The videos and reading library handouts should take the participant a minimum of 226 minutes total. Participants must complete participation requirements by December 31, 2019 to be eligible to earn a certificate of participation.
Food & Fiber Animal Surgery
Total time: 226 minutes
- Be aware of common bovine surgical procedures
- Be aware of common camelid surgical procedures
- Be aware of common ovine & caprine surgical procedures
- Be aware of common porcine surgical procedures
- Identify the equipment and surgical instruments used in these surgeries
- Understand what each instrument and piece of equipment is used for
Shana Lemmenes, CVT, VTS-EVN has worked as a technician since 2011 in small animal, and academia. She is a surgery technician and senior veterinary technician at the University of Minnesota Large Animal Veterinary Medical Center. Shana has also co-edited a textbook for Elsevier: Mosby's Comprehensive Review for Veterinary Technicians, 5th edition Total CE Credit: 3.5 Tuition: $74
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on December 1, 2019 at 5 pm ET (USA).
*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- Each person is individually responsible for his/her own registration. To ensure that all information received is secure and correct, please do not enroll for a course on behalf of another individual.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
*Note: “This program (22-33309) is approved for 3.5 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval. “
Course withdrawal and refund policy: A complete refund of the paid course price will be issued when your withdrawal request is received prior to the listed start date of the course. If you wish to withdraw after the start date please contact the VIN office 800-846-0028 ext. 792 to discuss eligibility for a pro-rated refund.*For more information on VSPN's upcoming CE courses, check the VSPN Course Catalog. Lisa Kernaghan, LVT, RVT, CVT, VTS (ECC)
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357