Real Time Sessions (RTS): Sundays, July 11, 18, 25, and August 1, 2021; 8:30-10:00 PM ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 6
RACE Category: 6 hours Medical
Go big with your small mammal confidence. Learn basic nursing skills to give exotic small mammals such as rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs, chinchillas, and other small rodents the specialized care they need. From housing to proper physical examination, this interactive course has you covered. You’ll also learn nursing skills such as venipuncture techniques, catheterization sites and fluid therapy routes, radiographic positioning, diagnostic sample collection and syringe/hand feeding techniques.
- Understand and demonstrate proper husbandry for hospitalized rabbits, ferrets and rodents.
- Show an understanding of basic exotic small animal anatomy.
- Discuss basic dietary needs of exotic mammals.
- Show an understanding of basic equipment needed to work with exotics in clinical practice as well as restraint and physical examinations techniques.
- Illustrate venipuncture techniques and have the ability to obtain various diagnostic samples.
- Identify various intravenous and intraosseous catheters sites and discuss appropriate use of fluid therapy.
- Describe triage and basic stabilization techniques.
- Describe radiographic positioning for exotic small mammals.
- Discuss sedation and anesthesia techniques.
- Describe general nursing care including assisted feeding techniques.
RACE Accreditation: This program has been approved for 6 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval. (20-797535)Course Agenda:
Week 1 (Real Time Session July 11): Basic Husbandry and Hospitalization
This real time session will cover the basic anatomy and dietary needs of exotics small animals, information on the basic equipment needed to work with these patients, and proper husbandry for hospitalized rabbits, ferrets and rodents including meeting basic dietary needs.
Week 2 (Real Time Session July 18):
Physical Examination and Venipuncture Techniques
This real time session will discuss restraint and physical examinations techniques and illustrate venipuncture and diagnostics sampling techniques.
Week 3 (Real Time Session July 25):
Fluid Therapy, Catheterization and Basic Stabilization Techniques
This real time session will describe triage and basic stabilization techniques, identification of various intravenous and intraosseous catheters sites, and fluid therapy. #
Week 4 (Real Time Session August 1):
Radiographic Positioning, Diagnostic Sampling and Nursing Care
This real time session will describe radiographic positioning and sedation/anesthesia for exotic small mammals as well as general nursing care including assisted feeding.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Tuition: $126 ($113 early bird special if enrolled by June 18, 2021). Prices are listed in US dollars.
* Students currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357