Course Open: August 2, 2021-September 9, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Mondays August 9, 16, 23, and 30, 2021: 8:30-10 PM ET World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 6
RACE Category: 6 hours Medical
This course is designed to review current theory and practice of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) based on the RECOVER guidelines in the small animal hospital. This course will focus on veterinary technician interventions and skills used to prepare the hospital for a cardiopulmonary arrest event, identify patients at risk for arrest, basic life support procedures and protocols to follow, advanced life support procedures and protocols to follow, the team approach to CPR, and care of the post-cardiopulmonary arrest patient.
- Explain the RECOVER initiative
- Discuss hospital and staff preparedness
- Identify crash cart essentials
- Review advanced directive orders
- Discuss the CPR roles and team approach
- Review compression rates and techniques
- Explain cardiac and thoracic pump theories
- Discuss intubation and breathing rates
- Recognize the importance of 2-minute BLS cycles
- Review venous access/IV fluid therapy
- Discuss drug therapies used
- Explain ECG and ETCO2 monitoring
- Name the most common arrest rhythms
- Review signs associated with ROSC
- Discuss the team approach to CPR, including debriefing
- Review medical and nursing care of the post-CPA patient
- Identify when to stop CPR efforts
- Discuss quality of life of the post-CPA patient
- Review when to stop CPR efforts
Course Prerequisites: none
RACE Accreditation: This program has been approved for 6 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval. (20-800585)Course Agenda:
Week 1 (Real Time Session August 9): RECOVER & Cardiopulmonary Arrest Preparedness
Required Reading (prior to August 9):
- RECOVER Preparedness & Preparation PDF handout
- Crash Cart Essentials PDF handout
- Signs of Impending CPA PDF handout
Week 2 (Real Time Session August 16):
Basic Life Support
Required Reading (prior to August 16):
- RECOVER Basic Life Support PDF handout
- RECOVER CPR Algorithm PDF handout
Week 3 (Real Time Session August 23):
Advanced Life Support
Required Reading (prior to August 23):
- RECOVER Advanced Life Support PDF handout
- RECOVER Monitoring PDF handout
- RECOVER CPR Algorithm PDF handout
- CPR Emergency Drug Doses PDF handout
Week 4 (Real Time Session August 30):
Post-Cardiopulmonary Arrest Care
Required Reading (prior to August 30):
- RECOVER Post-CPA Care PDF handout
- Post-CPA Algorithm PDF handout
- RECOVER Clinical Guidelines PDF handout
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Tuition: $126 ($113 early bird special if enrolled by July 19, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars.
* Students currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357