Course Open: October 4, 2021-November 4, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Mondays, October 11, 18, and 25, 2021; 9:00-10:30pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 4.5
RACE Category: 4.5 hours Non-Medical
The price of this course includes a copy of "The Complete Veterinary Practice Controlling Controlled Drug Manual," which we will mail to the participant approximately 10 days before the start of the course.
**In the comment section of the registration, please provide your mailing address. Those who register from 10/2 onward, may not receive the book in time for the first RTS.
This course is designed to provide practical guidance on the administration of a controlled substance accountability program in the veterinary hospital. The course will present an overview of the DEA regulations including, registration, ordering, security, dispensing, accountability, inventories, and problem resolution scenarios that are likely to happen in a veterinary practice setting. **This course will discuss US federal (DEA) laws only. **
- Distinguish when a DEA registration is required
- Prepare orders and submit them for controlled substances using the proper channel
- Prepare a suitable access control system for controlled drugs in the practice
- Prepare and maintain suitable physical security for controlled drugs in the practice
- Design and maintain a practical accountability (log) system to account or controlled substance activities
- Identify “non-traditional” situations where controlled drugs are used and create an accountability system to track the drugs
- Conduct an “audit” or check to ensure records and stocks of controlled drugs are in agreement.
- Design and complete required documentation for inventories of controlled substances
- Properly correct balances to reflect operational shortages or overages.
- Properly document and report significant shortages or theft of controlled substances.
- Demonstrate proper disposal of unwanted or outdated controlled substances
VSPN CE COURSE:Open to all members of the veterinary team. “This program has been approved for 4.5 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval. (22-39034). This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. (VHMA program # 09-06) Veterinarians should check with their state/provincial boards regarding course approval for pharmacy or regulatory content requirements.Course Agenda:
Week 1 (Real Time Session October 11): Before the Drugs Arrive - Registration, Security and Ordering
In this session we will distinguish when a DEA registration is required and discuss preparing orders for controlled drugs and submitting them through the proper channels. We will also go over suitable access control systems for controlled drugs in a practice.
Week 2 (Real Time Session October 18):
Drugs on Site - Logs and Accountability
This week we will discuss preparing and maintaining suitable physical security for controlled drugs in the practice. We will learn to design and maintain log systems to account for controlled substance activity in the clinic/hospital. We will identify “ non-traditional” situations where controlled drugs are used and create an accountability system to track the drugs. We will learn to conduct and “audit” or check to ensure records and stocks of controlled drugs agree.
Week 3 (Real Time Session October 25):
Inventories & Disposing of Unwanted Drugs
In this final session of the course, we will learn to design and complete required documentation for inventories of controlled drugs. We will also learn to properly correct balances to reflect operational shortages or overages We will discuss how to properly document and report significant shortages or theft of controlled substances. We will learn how to properly dispose of unwanted or outdated controlled substances.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook: "The Complete Veterinary Practice Controlling Controlled Drug Manual," which is included in course fee
Tuition: $150 ($141 early bird special if enrolled by September 20, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars.
* Students currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VSPN CE Coordinator VSPN CE Services: VSPNCE
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357