Course Open: September 28, 2021-October 29, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Tuesdays, October 5, 12, and 19, 2021; 9:00-10:30pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 4.5
RACE Category: 4.5 hours Non-Medical
Conflict management skills are essential in any business. This course intends to teach office managers, practice managers, veterinarians, and all support staff more effective communication and conflict resolution techniques. The intent is to impart knowledge and techniques that can be utilized with clients as well as coworkers when conflict occurs. As a continuation of Module 1, we will incorporate how your communication skills relate to conflict with others. The overall goal of all three modules of this series is for the participant to become a more knowledgeable and confident communicator. This module will go into detail about managing and resolving conflict. We will discuss conflict with clients and conflicts within the hospital. We will also explore mentoring others to manage conflict. This module will discuss communication skills which are effective for managing conflict.
- Assess types and causes of client conflicts.
- Analyze and manage challenging client behaviors.
- Discuss preventing future client conflicts.
- Consider how we view conflict.
- Implement a process for conflict management.
- Discuss handling conflict as an opportunity in the hospital environment.
- Illustrate effective communications techniques.
- Analyze challenging coworker behaviors.
- Use two methodologies when managing conflict.
- Outline how to create a positive workplace environment.
- Discuss managing conflict in the hospital and techniques for conversations regarding conflict.
- Learn to mentor others to reduce and resolve conflict.
Course Prerequisites: none
This program has been approved for 4.5 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval.(20-843933)
This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. (VHMA program # 08-20)
Week 1 (Real Time Session October 5): Client Conflicts
In this session we will assess the types and causes of client conflicts and learn to analyze and manage challenging client behaviors. We will discuss preventing future client conflict, consider how we view conflict ourselves, and implement a process for conflict management.
Week 2 (Real Time Session October 12):
Conflicts within the Hospital
This week will discuss handling conflict as an opportunity in the hospital environment. We will illustrate effective communication techniques, analyze challenging coworker behaviors, and discuss using two methodologies when managing conflict.
Week 3 (Real Time Session October 19):
Creating a Positive Workplace and Mentoring Conflict Resolution
In this session we will outline how to create a positive workplace environment and discuss managing conflict in the hospital as well as techniques for having conversations regarding conflict. We will also learn to mentor others to reduce and resolve conflict.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Tuition: $95 ($86 early bird special if enrolled by September 14, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars.
*Enroll in all 3 modules by September 7, 2021 and receive a 15% discount off the original course price.
* Students currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357