Course Open: August 31, 2021-October 1, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Tuesdays, September 7, 14 and 21, 2021; 9:00-10:30pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 4.5
RACE Category: 4.5 hours Non-Medical
Interpersonal communication and conflict management are essential tools in any business. This course intends to teach office managers, practice managers, veterinarians, and all support staff more effective communication and conflict resolution techniques. The intent is to impart knowledge and techniques that can be utilized with clients as well as coworkers when conflict occurs. The overall goal of all three modules of this series is for the participant to become a more knowledgeable and confident communicator. This module will introduce communication techniques and information about elements and structure of conversation. Listening techniques will also be presented. Organizational development will be discussed in terms of how it affects communication and workplace culture. This module provides the building blocks for communication which will be used when discussing conflict management in Module 2.
- Interpret and discuss communication methods and techniques.
- Discuss methods of more effective communicating.
- Examine the elements of communication.
- Consider whether your communication has met your desired outcomes.
- Discuss methods of more effective listening.
- Identify listening errors.
- Demonstrate Reflective Listening.
- Examine empathy and its role in communications.
- Identify organizational behavior development and realize how it affects communication and teams.
- Relate how organizational development and communication affects turnover.
- Consider methods to facilitate communication between others.
Course Prerequisites: none
This program has been approved for 4.5 hours of continuing education credit in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval.(20-843931)
This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. (VHMA program # 08-19)
Week 1 (Real Time Session September 7): Communication
In this session we will discuss communication methods and techniques, and how we can be more effective in this area. We will examine the elements of communication and consider if what we have been doing is meeting our desired outcomes.
Week 2 (Real Time Session September 14):
This week will be discussing methods of effective listening, demonstrating reflective listening, and identify listening errors. We will also examine empathy and its role in communications.
Week 3 (Real Time Session September 21):
In this session we will identify organizational behavior development and discuss how it affects communication and teams. We will relate how organizational development and communication affects turnover, and consider methods to facilitate communication between others.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate.Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Tuition: $95 ($86 early bird special if enrolled by August 17, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars.
*Enroll in all 3 modules by September 7, 2021 and receive a 15% discount off the original course price.
* Students currently enrolled in an AVMA accredited or CVMA approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status).
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext.792 or email VSPNCE. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 792
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357