Course Open: July 19-August 19, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Mondays, July 26, August 2, and 9, 2021; 9:30-11:00 pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 4.5
RACE Category: 4.5 hours Non-Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
This course is designed for the Practice Owner, Manager or Administrator who wants to understand OSHA's Standards as well as practical ways to implement them in a veterinary practice. We attempt to avoid debating the merits of any particular requirement and, instead, will focus on how to achieve compliance! This course will cover ALL aspects of a hospital safety program, not just the Hazard Communication Standard. The participants will be provided with many downloadable resources including the actual text versions of applicable standards. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- develop and implement an animal handling safety plan for the staff.
- develop and implement an infection control plan for animals with contagious or infectious diseases.
- recognize and understand how waste anesthetic gasses get into the work environment and how they affect workers.
- develop and implement a waste gas anesthesia safety plan.
- understand the risks associated with surgical and therapy lasers.
- develop and implement a laser safety plan.
- properly identify biomedical waste based on state regulations.
- develop and implement a biomedical waste handling plan to include proper needle and sharps safety measures.
- understand the risks associated with low-level, chronic x-ray radiation exposure likely found in a veterinary practice.
- develop and implement a radiation safety plan to include the use of machine safeguards, protective equipment and proper procedures.
- understand the risks associated with hazardous drugs in a medical workplace and the precautions necessary for staff protection.
- develop and implement a Dangerous Drug Safety Plan.
This course has been submitted (but not yet approved) for 4.5 hours of continuing education credit for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. in jurisdictions which recognize RACE approval.
This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. (VHMA 19-23) Course Agenda: Week 1 (Real Time Session July 26, 2021): Anesthesia, Lasers and Animal Handling
Week 2 (Real Time Session August 2, 2021): Radiology and Medical Waste
Week 3 (Real Time Session August 9, 2021): Chemotherapy and Dangerous Drugs
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbooks: The following required textbooks are included in the price of the course:
- The Complete Veterinary Practice Regulatory Compliance Manual.
This is a comprehensive reference tool for the practice administrator, covering not only OSHA standards, but a complete range of regulatory issues, including controlled substances and pharmacy operations, labor and employment issues, and ADA compliance.
- Safety Issues for the Veterinary Practice Staff.
This self-paced workbook is ideal for training new and existing members of the practice team on the issues important to them and to OSHA!
Tuition: Member $170 ($160 early bird special if enrolled by July 5, 2021)
Non-Member $249 ($231 early bird special if enrolled by July 5, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on July 26, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357