Course Open: October 15, 2020-December 31, 2021
Level and Prerequisites: This basic course will be open to VIN and VSPN members actively interested in in the basics of hamster, mouse, and gerbil medicine.
VIN CE Course: Open to VIN/VSPN members. This non-interactive course is approved by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 22-44502) Course Description:
This course will cover the basics of hamster, mouse, and gerbil ownership and husbandry, as well as an overview of a general clinical approach to the species, discussing common diseases and their treatments. This course will consist of 1 non-interactive module. It will have a video lesson that includes a few poll questions and supplemental reading materials intended to help the participant retain the information provided. To earn a certificate of completion, the participant must complete the module and pass the end of course test (score 80% or better). Completion of the module (videos, reading handouts, polls, and end-of-course test) will take a minimum of 64 minutes to complete. Participants must complete the participation requirements by December 31, 2021 to be eligible for a certificate. Course Outline:
Module 1: Hamster, Mouse, and Gerbil Basics
Total Time: 64 minutes
Video: 54 minutes
Polls: 4 polls
End of Course Test: 10 minutes
Objectives: Upon completion of this session, the participant should be able to
- Educate owners on the basics of hamster, mouse, and gerbil care
- Evaluate the husbandry of a patient to determine likely points causing disease
- Determine the best way to correct deficits of husbandry
- Determine a likely list of differential diagnoses for a sick hamsters, mice, and gerbil patients
- Be comfortable anesthetizing hamsters, mice, and gerbil patients
- Know the basics of common hamsters, mice, and gerbil surgeries
Sandra Mitchell is currently doing house call, relief and emergency medicine near Bangor, Maine and is a board-certified feline specialist and exotic companion mammal specialist. Additionally, she is a licensed wildlife rehabilitator in the State of Maine and routinely treats wildlife in her area. She loves caring for companion animals, particularly dealing with geriatric patients as well as animals with difficult to diagnose or treat conditions. If it fits through the door, she will see the pet as there are no medical challenges she is unwilling to tackle. She is "owned" by her own personal tribe which includes cats, ferrets, chinchillas, and whatever wildlife have decided to take up temporary residence. In her spare time, she writes for veterinary journals, gives lectures to veterinarians, veterinary staff, and owners, writes exam questions for a variety of veterinary qualification exams, and authors for animal-oriented magazines and websites. In her real time off, she loves to canoe - especially whitewater. In 2011, she completed a 1,000-mile canoe race in the Yukon, finishing in only 7 days, 10 hours, and 46 minutes! Total CE Credit: 1 Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member: $23
Prices are listed in US dollars. *Enrollment will close on December 1, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA).
*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. To Enroll:
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- Each person is individually responsible for his/her own registration. To ensure that all information received is secure and correct, please do not enroll for a course on behalf of another individual.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357