Adam Honeckman, DVM, DACVIM
Course Open: September 29-November 20, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Wednesdays, October 6, 13, 20, 27, November 3 and 7, 2021; 9:00-11:00 pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 10
RACE Category: 10 hours Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
This course offers veterinarians a unique perspective on blood smears and bone marrow aspirates from both an internist and a clinical pathologist teaching in tandem. This allows for discussion of:
- how to obtain diagnostic samples.
- how to interpret blood smears and bone marrow aspirates in conjunction with history, physical exam, laboratory data, and diagnostic imaging.
- how to use blood smears and bone marrow aspirates information to optimize a treatment plan.
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- perform appropriate specimen collection and handling techniques for blood collection as it relates to CBCs and other hematologic testing.
- recognize when collection of bone marrow is indicated.
- utilize appropriate collection techniques for both bone marrow aspirates and core biopsies.
- evaluate a bone marrow specimen to determine adequacy of the specimen and have a basic proficiency in identifying cell types present.
- recognize the appearance of RBCs in a blood smear.
- demonstrate an understanding of what constitutes a normal finding, breed-related normal-finding, and abnormal finding with regards to RBCs.
- recognize the appearance of WBCs in a blood smear.
- demonstrate an understanding of what constitutes a normal finding, breed-related normal-finding, and abnormal finding with regards to WBCs.
- recognize the appearance of platelets in a blood smear.
- demonstrate an understanding of what constitutes a normal finding, breed-related normal-finding, and abnormal finding with regards to platelets.
Accreditation: This course is approved for 10 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians. (RACE 20-814574) Course Agenda: Week 1 (Real Time Session October 6, 2021): Hematology/Peripheral Blood Smears Week 2 (Real Time Session October 13, 2021): Bone Marrow **** BREAK - October 20, 2021 **** Week 3 (Real Time Session October 27, 2021): RBC Cases Week 4 (Real Time Session November 3, 2021): WBC Cases Week 5 (Real Time Session November 10, 2021): Platelet and Other Cases; Q&A Session Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Tuition: Member $230 ($207 early bird special if enrolled by September 15, 2021)
Non-Member $355 ($319 early bird special if enrolled by September 15, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on October 6, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357