Nancy Brock, DVM, DACVAA
Lydia Love, DVM, DACVAA
Course Open: September 28-November 5, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Tuesdays, October 5, 12, 19 and 26, 2021; 8:00-10:00 pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 8
RACE Category: 8 hours Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
You have a patient in front of you that is less than healthy. How will you minimize anesthesia risk for that patient? In this course we will explore, using a body systems approach, how disease and anesthesia interact to influence your decision-making process. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand what exactly is the peri-operative period.
- understand pre-anesthesia evaluation and stabilization of patients.
- understand the impact (or lack there-of) of drug selection in situation of 1) mild, 2) moderate and 3) severe organ dysfunction.
- understand the importance of peri-operative monitoring and support including the post extubation period.
- understand other disease specific aspects of anesthesia for these more complex conditions.
- apply knowledge of the above for the patient with renal insufficiency.
- understand differentials that may influence anesthesia decision making for patients with respiratory disease.
- understand what should be done before anesthesia for patients with a heart murmur.
- understand differentials that may influence anesthesia decision making for patients with a heart murmur.
- understand what should be done before anesthesia for patients with chronic liver disease or neurologic disease.
Licensed or experienced (5 years clinical experience suggested) veterinary staff are encouraged to enroll with the veterinarian they work with if possible.
Please note: Veterinary staff may not be able to access the full complement of VIN Message Board - based resources in the course library.
Accreditation: This course is approved for 8 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarian and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-842133) Course Agenda: Week 1 (Real Time Session October 5, 2021)
It's not always about the drugs - How to optimize your patient's health status prior to anesthesia and surgery when the patient is not 100% healthy. Disease example – the patient with renal insufficiency. Week 2 (Real Time Session October 12, 2021)
Respiratory disease: Upper vs lower airway considerations for anesthesia Week 3 (Real Time Session October 19, 2021)
The cat with a heart murmur and the dog with a heart murmur Week 4 (Real Time Session October 26, 2021)
Dealing with liver disease or neurologic disease and anesthesia Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Tuition: Member $184 ($166 early bird special if enrolled by September 14, 2021)
Non-Member $292 ($263 early bird special if enrolled by September 14, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on October 5, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357