Examination of Side Effects of Sulfanamide Drugs Causing Keratoconjunctivitis Sicca in Rabbit
The sulfanamides are one of the oldest recognized groups of antibacterial agents. During the recent years sulfanamides have been used in combination with a synergistic compound called trimethoprim to potentiate their antibacterial action. These potentiated sulfonamides belong to the category of bactericidal drugs. Sulfanamides are used in the treatment of pet animal disease and are among the most commonly used drugs. When there is a renal disorder, the clinical side effects are sedimentation and urinary crystals in dogs. Other side effects are cystic calculus as in dog, renal insufficiency and azotemia in cats. One of the most common diseases caused by the long-time use of this drug is kerato conjunctivitis sicca in dogs. The main reason of which is low tear production. This dryness causes conjunctivitis and as a result corneal ulcer and blindness.
Material and methods
In this study a number of 35 rabbits with an average age of one year were studied in three groups of ten and one group of five as a case control group. Co-trimoxazole is used as 200mg/5cc oral suspension. The first group was treated with a dose of 30 mg /kg for 7days, the second group with 60 mg /kg dosage for 7 days, and third group with 30 mg /kg for 14 days. Schirmer tear test was used to measure the tear volume.
Discussion and Result
The statistical test shows the two by two difference of average in all the cases of which there is a significant difference between the two averages with a 99% level of confidence and an error probability of 1% increased duration of drug administration from 7 to 14 days, caused a significant drop in tear secretion rate.