Course Open: January 1-31, 2023
Total CE Credit: 1
RACE Category: 1 hours Non-Medical
Tuition: VIN Member $16
This session will help you to become aware of different ways of approaching a medical problem. We will discuss the advantages and disadvantages of 3 commonly used methods: pattern recognition, fishing trip and logical clinical problem solving. The importance of defining medical problems in patients using a carefully taken clinical history and physical examination, then constructing a problem list and order according to the specific nature of the problems and relevance will be covered. Learn to refine a problem list on the basis of newly acquired information and localize the most specific problems of the patient to a body system and define the lesion in the body system. To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the Conversation will take a minimum of 60 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by December 31, 2023 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a Self Study CE certificate, please refer to Self Study CE Certificate Requirements.
Upon completion of the Conversation, the participant should be able to
- recognize there are different ways of approaching a medical problem.
- recognize the advantages and disadvantages of 3 commonly used methods: pattern recognition, fishing trip and logical clinical problem solving.
- recognizedefine the medical problems in patients using a carefully taken clinical history and physical examination.
- recognizeconstruct a problem list and order according to the specific nature of the problems and relevance.
- recognizerefine a problem list on the basis of newly acquired information.
- recognizelocalize the most specific problems of the patient to a body system and define the lesion in the body system.
Level and Prerequisites: This basic VIN CE Conversations With Colleagues is open for enrollment to veterinarians interested in learning more about different methods for approaching a medical problem. This course is open to VIN members only.
Credit Approval: This non-interactive Conversations With Colleagues is approved for 1 hour of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians. (RACE 20-938982)
Agenda: Module 1: Logical Problem Solving
Total Time: 50 minutes
Video: 50 minutes
Module 2: End of Course Test
Total Time: 10 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. Module 3: Evaluation
To learn more about the requirements for earning a Self Study CE certificate, please refer to Self Study CE Certificate Requirements.
Tuition: VIN Member $16
*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. Enrollment qualifications for Self Study CE:
- VIN CE Courses:
- VIN CE courses are open to VIN members.
- Veterinary support staff must be VSPN members in order to enroll in a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- VSPN CE Courses:
- VSPN CE courses are open to veterinary support staff and veterinarians.
- Only VIN and VSPN members can enroll in a VSPN CE course.
- Veterinarians will only receive credit for those VSPN CE courses that specify in the Accreditation statement that the course is accredited for veterinarians.
- Please check the course Level and Prerequisites, Accreditation, and Tuition before enrolling.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org
and @vin.com addresses.
- Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN@vin.com. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
Course withdrawal and refund policy: A complete refund of the paid course price will be issued when your withdrawal request is received prior to starting the course. If you wish to withdraw after you have started this self-study course, please contact the VSPN office 800-846-0028, ext. 797 to discuss eligibility for a pro-rated refund. *For more information on VIN's upcoming CE courses, check the VIN Course Catalog. Katherine James, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (SAIM)
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357