Phillip Seibert, CVT
November 5-November 26, 2008
Real Time Sessions: Monday evenings, November 10 and 17, 2008; 9:30pm-10:30pm ET (USA) **Note sessions are 60 minutes long.
This course is designed to provide practical guidance on the administration of a controlled substance accountability program in the veterinary hospital. The course will have two 60-minute online sessions presenting an overview of the DEA regulations including, registration, ordering , security, dispensing, accountability, inventories, and problem resolution scenarios that are likely to happen in a veterinary practice setting.
All veterinary staff members, office managers, practice managers, hospital administrators, supervisors, and veterinarians are welcome to join the course and its discussions. This course has been submitted for RACE approval for veterinarians and veterinary technicians and has been submitted to VHMA for approval towards CVPM requirements.
Upon completion of this course, the participant should be able to
- distinguish when a DEA registration is required.
- prepare orders and submit them for controlled substances using the proper channel.
- design security protocols to safeguard controlled substances under their control.
- outline and apply documentation required inventories of controlled substances.
- create and maintain a practical accountability (log) system to account or controlled substance activities.
- demonstrate proper disposal of unwanted or outdated controlled substances.
There is no textbook required or recommended for this class. Course notes will be provided.
Week 1: Before the Drugs Arrive-Registration, Security and Ordering
Content: During this session, we'll discuss when a DEA registration is required, the security precautions that should be in place before the drugs are received and the ordering process for controlled substances.
Week 2: Drugs on Site-Inventories, Logs, and Accountability
Content: During this session, we'll discuss the most practical ways to document controlled substance dispensing, administration and waste. We'll also explore options for disposing of outdated or no longer wanted controlled drugs.
LIBRARY MATERIALS: Library materials will be made available prior to the topic week so participants will have plenty of time to prepare for the real time sessions and discussion.
MESSAGE BOARD DISCUSSIONS: Message board discussions regarding the topic presented will begin on the day the course opens and continue for one week following the last real time session. These discussions will be held in the VSPN CE course area.
CE HOURS: 2
$39 ($35.00 early bird special if registered before October 2, 2008).
*Students currently enrolled in and taking at least 2 classes or 5 units at an AVMA accredited or CAAHT approved Veterinary Technician Program may be eligible to receive a 50% discount off the regular rate for this course (upon verification of student status). You must include the following information in the comments section on the payment page of the CE enrollment form in order to be eligible for this discount: your program director's name and contact information (email/phone) and school name.
** NOTE: Registration will be closed when the maximum number of participants is reached or at 5pm ET the day of the first real time session.
- Each person must individually be a registered member of VSPN (www.vspn.org). Membership in VSPN is free.
- To enroll in any VSPN CE course click on the ENROLL NOW link below the course title on the right side of the page at www.vspn.org/CE
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. This is our major form of communication with participants. It is highly recommended that course participants use their own, personal emails rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- VIN Member veterinarians SHOULD NOT register for their staff. Please have the staff member register through VSPN. Please email VSPNCE@vspn.org if you have questions.
- VIN Member veterinarians ARE ELIGIBLE to take this course, we are requesting RACE accreditation for both veterinarians and veterinary technicians. **Please access the course enrollment through www.vspn.org/CE.
"This course has been submitted for approval for 2
continuing education credits in jurisdictions which recognize AAVSB RACE approval; however participants should be aware that some boards have limitations on the number of hours accepted in certain categories and/or restrictions on certain methods of delivery of continuing education. Call VSPN CE at 1-800-700-4636 for further information." (Attendees are encouraged to check with their licensing jurisdiction(s) for information regarding recognition by their board).
This course has also been submitted for approval for continual education units toward CVPM requirements by the VHMA.
COURSE WITHDRAWAL AND REFUND POLICY:
Withdrawal prior to the listed start date of a course entitles the registrant to a complete refund or a credit toward a future VSPN or VIN CE course, whichever is preferred. Withdrawal within 1 week after the listed start date (i.e. including no more than one real-time session) entitles the registrant to a credit toward any future VIN CE course. (Does not apply to courses with only one real-time session.) After the first real-time session, a registrant may withdraw due to special circumstances and receive prorated credit towards a future VIN course. These requests will be handled on an individual basis. The amount of the prorated credit will be determined based on 65% of the time remaining in the course at the time of withdrawal. It is not possible to withdraw retroactively.
Note: To ensure rapid handling of your request for withdrawal, we recommend that you call the VIN office at 1-800-700-INFO (4636).
** For More Information on VSPN's upcoming CE Courses, check out http://www.VSPN.org/CE
Nanette R. Walker Smith, M.Ed., RVT, CVT, LVT
VSPN Content Director & CE Coordinator
1-800-846-0028 or 1-530-297-4950, ext 187
Charlotte Waack (Charlotte@vspn.org), ext 193
Chris Upchurch (Chris@vspn.org); ext 197
VSPN CE Services
1-800-846-0028 or 1-530-297-4950
[ CE MAIN | COURSE CATALOG | RACE/GETTING CREDITS | ONLINE CE HOW TO | SUGGEST A COURSE | VIN MAIN ]
800.700.4636 | CEonVIN@vin.com | 530.756.4881 | Fax: 530.756.6035|
777 West Covell Blvd, Davis, CA 95616
Copyright 2000, Veterinary Information Network, Inc.