Course Open: January 1-December 31, 2023
Total CE Credit: 7
RACE Category: 7 hours Non-Medical
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $161
This is the heavy weight module where you will see results! We take the information learned in Modules 1 & 2 and apply it using new advanced Financial Tools to directly improve the profitability of your practice. This is where the rubber hits the road. All the accounting information you went through in Modules 1 and 2 is necessary to understand the Advanced Financial Tools supplied in this module. At the end of this course, you can turn your attention to your practice and put the tools to work. Then sit back and watch your practice profits grow. To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the course will take a minimum of 423 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by December 31, 2023 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a Self Study CE certificate, please refer to Self Study CE Certificate Requirements.
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- read and assess their own financial statements.
- use the supplied Financial Guidelines to analyze their own practice.
- based on findings, make business decisions to improve their practice profitability.
- understand the “Golden Revenues” of their practice.
- understand and use the Advance Financial Calculators supplied.
- understand the basic 6 strategies for increasing profits.
- understand the top two ways of improving practice profitability.
- explain what business strategies work for veterinary hospitals.
- explain what business strategies are detrimental to veterinary hospital profits.
- understand the best strategy for loan reduction.
- understand to total costs of debt.
- use the Loan Amortization calculator to determine most cost effect way for YOU to reduce your debt service.
- understand Breakeven analysis and how to use it to make better business decisions.
- exam the detrimental effects of discounting.
- understand Economic Order Quantity and Reorder point and how to use them to control your inventory.
- understand the importance of Inventory Turns.
Level and Prerequisites: This advanced VIN CE self-study course is open for enrollment to VIN and VSPN members. This is the third installment of a four part management series (PRAC113, PRAC213, PRAC313, PRAC413) on improving a veterinary practice profits and thereby creating wealth for the owner.
Credit Approval: This non-interactive course is approved for 7 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-971500)
This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. (VHMA 21-08)
Course Agenda: Module 1: Introduction to Module 3
Total Time: 8 minutes
Video: 8 minutes
Module 2: Business Sleuths
Total Time: 113 minutes
Video: 88 minutes
Activities: 25 minutes
Module 3: Profit Engines
Total Time: 69 minutes
Video: 69 minutes
Module 4: Six Ways to Improve Practice Profits
Total Time: 46 minutes
Video: 46 minutes
Module 5: Dos and Don'ts
Total Time: 63 minutes
Video: 43 minutes
Activities: 20 minutes
Module 6: Loans Revisited
Total Time: 27 minutes
Video: 27 minutes
Module 7: Advanced Financial Toolkit
Total Time: 57 minutes
Video: 57 minutes
Module 8: End of Course Test
Total Time: 40 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. Module 9: Course Evaluation
To learn more about the requirements for earning a Self Study CE certificate, please refer to Self Study CE Certificate Requirements.
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $161
*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. Enrollment qualifications for Self Study CE:
- VIN CE Courses:
- VIN CE courses are open to VIN members.
- Veterinary support staff must be VSPN members in order to enroll in a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- VSPN CE Courses:
- VSPN CE courses are open to veterinary support staff and veterinarians.
- Only VIN and VSPN members can enroll in a VSPN CE course.
- Veterinarians will only receive credit for those VSPN CE courses that specify in the Accreditation statement that the course is accredited for veterinarians.
- Please check the course Level and Prerequisites, Accreditation, and Tuition before enrolling.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org
and @vin.com addresses.
- Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN@vin.com. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
Course withdrawal and refund policy: A complete refund of the paid course price will be issued when your withdrawal request is received prior to starting the course. If you wish to withdraw after you have started this self-study course, please contact the VSPN office 800-846-0028, ext. 797 to discuss eligibility for a pro-rated refund. *For more information on VIN's upcoming CE courses, check the VIN Course Catalog. Katherine James, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (SAIM)
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357