Course Open: March 24-April 10, 2021
Real Time Session (RTS): Wednesday, March 31, 2021; 9:30-11:00 pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 1.5
RACE Category: 1.5 hours Non-Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
Using lye to reduce the body to bone is a very old process. Its formal name is alkaline hydrolysis and thanks to some new technology and pioneer manufacturers, it's gaining popularity as an environmentally-friendly and sustainable option in aftercare. Some of you may know it as Flameless Cremation, Bio Cremation, Green Cremation, or Aquamation. To be clear, it's not cremation at all, but rather a very gentle unique way of reducing away the soft tissue so all that's left is the carcinogen-free skeleton ready for ash processing. Over this 90-minute session, we are going to talk about this new option gaining fast popularity around the country and world. And yes, they use it for people too. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- define how alkaline hydrolysis works.
- understand some basic parameters of offering it in your hospital/clinic.
- explain water-based cremation to perspective clients/families who are looking for a greener option.
RACE Accreditation: This course is approved for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-803876) Course Agenda: Week 1 (Real Time Session March 31, 2021): Water-Based Cremation
Presenter: Kathleen Cooney, DVM, CHPV, CCFP Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course. Enrollment is closed. Tuition: Member $35 ($32 early bird special if enrolled by March 10, 2021)
Non-Member $95 ($89 early bird special if enrolled by March 10, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on March 24, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357