Course Open: May 30-July 7, 2022
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Mondays, June 6, 13, 20, and 27, 2022; 9:00-10:30 pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 6
RACE Category: 6 hours Non-Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
The three OSHA modules (PRAC140-0422, PRAC141-0522, PRAC142-0722) are designed for the Practice Owner, Manager or Administrator who desires to understand OSHA's Standards as well as practical ways to implement them in a veterinary practice. We attempt to avoid debating the merits of any particular requirement and focus on how to achieve compliance! This course will cover ALL aspects of a hospital safety program, not just the Hazard Communication Standard. The participants will be provided with many downloadable resources, including the actual text versions of applicable standards. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- recognize sanitation requirements for a veterinary hospital.
- develop and implement a housekeeping plan for their practice.
- assess the appropriateness of using extension cords and outlet multipliers in the workplace.
- develop and implement a hearing safety program for noisy areas.
- identify appropriate emergency exits and exit routes in the facility.
- develop a comprehensive fire prevention and response plan.
- assess the security situation in the facility.
- develop and implement a comprehensive security and violence prevention plan.
- identify and list the hazardous chemicals present in their workplace.
- understand the exemptions to the Hazard Communication Standard and how they apply in the veterinary practice.
- assemble and organize a Safety Data Sheet Library based on the hazard materials list.
- identify the location(s) of eyewash device(s) necessary for chemical use in the facility.
- choose an appropriate secondary container hazard labeling system for use in their practice.
- understand the additional or special requirements for using formalin, ethylene oxide and other special chemicals in the workplace.
- develop and implement a practical spill clean-up plan.
This course is approved for 6 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-799769) This course does not qualify for AAVSB RACE approval.
This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. (VHMA 19-22) Course Agenda: Week 1 (Real Time Session June 6, 2022): General Hazards Part I
This session we will discuss the general hazards of the practice - food and beverages in the practice, housekeeping and sanitation, electricity hazards, and noise hazards. We'll reveal what OSHA has to say about these common issues and talk about ways to solve problems.
Week 2 (Real Time Session June 13, 2022): General Hazards Part II - fire prevention and planning and violence prevention
This session we will discuss fire prevention and planning, and violence prevention.
Week 3 (Real Time Session June 20, 2022): Chemicals (Hazard Communication Standard)
For this session we will discuss that most talked about of OSHA's regulations, the Hazard Communication Standard. We'll explain the rules for identifying a hazardous product, discuss the exemptions that will make the program easier, and explore the best ways to assemble an MSDS library.
Week 4 (Real Time Session June 28, 2021): Chemicals Part II (Special Chemicals)
In this session, we will continue our discussion on the Hazard Communication Standard. We will discuss the additional or special requirements for using formalin, ethylene oxide and other special chemicals in the workplace, and explore implementing a practical spill clean-up plan. Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbooks: The following required textbooks are included in the price of the course:
- The Complete Veterinary Practice Regulatory Compliance Manual.
This is a comprehensive reference tool for the practice administrator, covering not only OSHA standards, but a complete range of regulatory issues, including controlled substances and pharmacy operations, labor and employment issues, and ADA compliance.
- Safety Issues for the Veterinary Practice Staff.
This self-paced workbook is ideal for training new and existing members of the practice team on the issues important to them and to OSHA!
Enrollment is closed.
Tuition: Member $204 ($190 early bird special if enrolled by May 16, 2022)
Non-Member $297 ($274 early bird special if enrolled by May 16, 2022)
Prices are listed in US dollars. *Enroll in all three OSHA modules (PRAC140-0422, PRAC141-0522, PRAC142-0722) by May 2, 2022 and receive a $125 discount off the non-discounted course prices. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on ##DATE## at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357