Course Open: April 5-May 6, 2021
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Mondays April 12, 19 and 26, 2021; 9:30-11:00 pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 4.5
RACE Category: 4.5 hours Non-Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
The three OSHA modules (PRAC140-0421, PRAC141-0521, PRAC142-0721) are designed for the Practice Owner, Manager or Administrator who wants to understand OSHA's Standards as well as practical ways to implement them in a veterinary practice. We attempt to avoid debating the merits of any particular requirement and, instead, will focus on how to achieve compliance! This course will cover ALL aspects of a hospital safety program, not just the Hazard Communication Standard. The participants will be provided with many downloadable resources including the actual text versions of applicable standards. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand the employer's responsibilities in a safety program.
- document and investigate workplace accidents.
- develop and implement a written Injury & Illness Prevention Plan.
- understand the four stages of team development and training.
- develop a training plan for both new and existing staff members.
- conduct training meetings more efficiently and effectively.
- use the tools provided to perform and document a hazard assessment of the facility and procedural operations of the practice.
- recognize the benefits and limitations of PPE and the employer's responsibility for providing the necessary equipment.
- understand the employer's rights and responsibilities in an OSHA inspection.
- develop and disseminate a Regulatory Inspection policy for the practice.
- develop and implement an enforcement plan for safety rules.
This basic VIN CE course is open for enrollment to veterinarians, veterinary technicians/technologists, and veterinary support personnel actively interested in understanding OSHA standards. We will discuss ways to design and implement an effective training program and how to survive an OSHA inspection in a veterinary practice.
Accreditation: This course is approved for 4.5 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-814642)
This course is approved by VHMA for CVPM credit. (VHMA 19-21) Course Agenda: Week 1 (Real Time Session April 12, 2021): Administrative Requirements
To get us started on the right foot, we'll spend some time going over the process of distance learning. Even if you're new to this exciting way of CE, you'll see how easy it is to interact with other course participants and access the course materials or bulletin boards. We'll begin our topic by discussing exactly which forms, posters, plans or documents are required by OSHA. Some simple fill in the blank examples will be shared.
Week 2 (Real Time Session April 19, 2021): Staff Safety Training & PPE
No matter how good your written program may be, if the staff does not follow the rules or simply isn't informed, you will not be successful. This week we'll discuss ways to design and implement an effective training program that doesn't take a lot of time to replicate each time you have a new staff member. We'll also discuss OSHA's Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) Standard and how to get employees to wear the stuff!
Week 3 (Real Time Session April 26, 2021): Surviving an OSHA Inspection
Finally, what we all worry about, "What to do if OSHA decides to inspect your practice!" We'll talk about ways to minimize your risk of an inspection, as well as the EMPLOYER'S rights during an inspection. We'll also reveal some very creative "scams" that people have used to get your money under the guise of an OSHA inspection.
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbooks: The following required textbooks are included in the price of the course:
- The Complete Veterinary Practice Regulatory Compliance Manual.
This is a comprehensive reference tool for the practice administrator, covering not only OSHA standards, but a complete range of regulatory issues, including controlled substances and pharmacy operations, labor and employment issues, and ADA compliance.
- Safety Issues for the Veterinary Practice Staff.
This self-paced workbook is ideal for training new and existing members of the practice team on the issues important to them and to OSHA!
Enrollment is closed.
Tuition: Member $170 ($160 early bird special if enrolled by March 22, 2021)
Non-Member $249 ($231 early bird special if enrolled by March 22, 2021)
Prices are listed in US dollars. *Enroll in all three OSHA modules (PRAC140-0421, PRAC141-0521, PRAC142-0721) by April 12, 2021 and receive a $125 discount off the non-discounted course prices. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on April 12, 2021 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357