Course Open: January 1-December 31, 2023
Total CE Credit: 2
RACE Category: 2 hours Medical
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $46
Adverse food reactions, including food allergies, have diverse clinical signs with gastrointestinal and/or cutaneous manifestations. In this course we discuss the classification, pathogenesis, diagnosis, and management of adverse food reactions. We will primarily focus on nutritional management and will discuss diagnostic food trials for the different types of adverse food reactions, gastrointestinal and cutaneous. We will review how to identify nutrients of concern for both gastrointestinal adverse food reactions and cutaneous adverse food reactions and how these nutrients of concern impact dietary management. Feeding strategies, diet selection, and case management will also be discussed. To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the course will take a minimum of 111 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by December31, 2023 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a Self Study CE certificate, please refer to Self Study CE Certificate Requirements.
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand the classification and clinical signs of adverse food reactions.
- review how to perform a diagnostic food trial for diagnosis of gastrointestinal and cutaneous adverse food reactions.
- determine nutrients of concern and goals for feeding management for patients with adverse food reactions.
- discuss how to select a diet and feeding plan for patients with adverse food reactions.
Level and Prerequisites: This basic VIN CE self-study course is open for enrollment to veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists actively interested in canine and feline nutrition when dealing with adverse food reactions. This course is open to VIN and VSPN members only.
Credit Approval: This non-interactive course is approved for 2 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-899164)
Course Agenda: Module 1: Classification, Clinical Signs, and Pathogenesis
Total Time: 27 minutes
Video: 27 minutes
Module 2: Food Elimination Trials for Diagnosis of Adverse Food Reactions
Total Time: 28 minutes
Video: 28 minutes
Module 3: Nutrients of Concern and Goals for Feeding Management
Total Time: 17 minutes
Video: 17 minutes
Module 4: Case Example: Bentley
Total Time: 24 minutes
Video: 24 minutes
Module 5: End of Course Test
Total Time: 15 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course.
Module 6: Course Evaluation
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $46
*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. Enrollment qualifications for Self Study CE:
- VIN CE Courses:
- VIN CE courses are open to VIN members.
- Veterinary support staff must be VSPN members in order to enroll in a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- VSPN CE Courses:
- VSPN CE courses are open to veterinary support staff and veterinarians.
- Only VIN and VSPN members can enroll in a VSPN CE course.
- Veterinarians will only receive credit for those VSPN CE courses that specify in the Accreditation statement that the course is accredited for veterinarians.
- Please check the course Level and Prerequisites, Accreditation, and Tuition before enrolling.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org
and @vin.com addresses.
- Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN@vin.com. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
Course withdrawal and refund policy: A complete refund of the paid course price will be issued when your withdrawal request is received prior to starting the course. If you wish to withdraw after you have started this self-study course, please contact the VSPN office 800-846-0028, ext. 797 to discuss eligibility for a pro-rated refund. *For more information on VIN's upcoming CE courses, check the VIN Course Catalog. Katherine James, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (SAIM)
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357