Course Open: April 25-May 31, 2022
Real Time Sessions (RTS): Thursdays, May 5, 12, and 19, 2022; 8:00-10:00 pm ET (USA) World Clock Converter
Total CE Credit: 6
RACE Category: 6 hours Medical Skip to Enrollment Course Information:
This course is a comprehensive review of avian radiography and radiographic interpretation. The selection and use of radiographic equipment, positioning techniques and the effect of positioning on image quality will be discussed. Systematic methods of interpretation and description of findings will be described. The introductory session on equipment, radiographic technique, and basics of interpretation will be followed by sessions on cardiovascular and respiratory systems, digestive tract, and reproductive organs and the skeletal system. Normal and abnormal radiographs of each system will be presented. Learning Objectives:
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand the steps to produce diagnostic radiographs.
- understand how to develop a systematic review process for avian radiographs.
- understand how to recognize normal anatomy and abnormalities seen in avian radiographs.
- understand the radiographic signs associated with disease conditions in birds.
Accreditation: This course is approved for 6 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians. (RACE 20-904805) Course Agenda: Week 1 (Real Time Session May 5, 2022): Radiography and Systematic Interpretation
Recommended equipment and formulation of an avian radiographic technique chart will be discussed. Patient positioning and the effects of malpositioning will be discussed. The importance of systematic review of radiographs will be demonstrated. General interpretation avian radiographs using a systematic approach will follow. Week 2 (Real Time Session May 12, 2022): General Avian Radiology
The normal and abnormal radiographic appearance of the avian respiratory and cardiac systems and will be followed by a discussion of the systemic effects of these disease on other organ systems will be illustrated. Examples of the radiographic findings associated with the reproductive organs, digestive tract, and coelomic organs will be presented. Week 3 (Real Time Session May 19, 2022): General Radiology Continued and Skeletal Interpretation
The avian skeleton response to disease often differs from the typical response seen in mammals. Examples of metabolic, infectious, traumatic, and neoplastic diseases and their effects on other organ systems will be discussed. Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. To learn more about the requirements for earning a CE certificate, please refer to Receiving Your CE Credit and Course Completion Certificate. Course Materials: Course materials will be available in the course library prior to each Real Time Session.
Required Textbook(s): There is no required textbook for this course.
Enrollment is closed.
Tuition: Member $138 ($124 early bird special if enrolled by April 14, 2022)
Non-Member $231 ($208 early bird special if enrolled by April 14, 2022)
Prices are listed in US dollars. *To ensure participants are ready and prepared for classes, enrollment will close on May 5, 2022 at 5 pm ET (USA) or when the maximum number of participants is reached. *For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center.
- Enrollment qualifications: VIN CE courses are open to VIN member and non-member veterinarians. Veterinarians enrolling in a VSPN CE course must be a VIN member. Veterinary support staff must be a VSPN member to enroll in a VSPN CE or a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org and @vin.com addresses. Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357