Course Open: July 1, 2022-June 30, 2023
Total CE Credit: 1
RACE Category: 1 hour Non-Medical
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $23
Have you ever had to struggle to get a dog into position or keep him there for an exam or procedure? We often use force to restrain uncooperative dogs when techniques that incorporate finesse would work better. With Low Stress Handling™ techniques you learn how to control movement in all directions while providing the support and guidance the dog needs to feel secure. Looking for more Sophia Yin behavior courses? Consider enrolling in Low Stress Handling® Silver Certification. A comprehensive review of ten individual courses, including Canine Lab 2: Handling and Restraining Medium-sized and Large Dogs with Skill and Ease (BHVR908). Participants will learn to understand and improve the individual's or hospital's ability to create a low stress environment and handle animals in a less stressful manner. Enroll in Low Stress Handling® Silver Certification and receive 15% bundle discount compared to the cost of individual courses. More information/enrollment: Low Stress Handling® Silver Certification Self Study To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the course will take a minimum of 79 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by June 30, 2023 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a Self Study CE certificate, please refer to Self Study CE Certificate Requirements.
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- understand how to control movement of the dog's front and rear ends in all 6 directions (front, back, right, left, up, and down). Determine which of these directions each hold controls and when to use a minimal vs. a maximal restraint hold.
- safely get into position to restrain a dog and how to identify the common mistakes people make during this transition that increase their risk of being bitten.
- discover how guiding dogs through position changes (including standing to lateral) in a secure and well-supported manner can change a dog from being resistant, and even aggressive, to being calm and cooperative.
Level and Prerequisites: This basic VIN CE self-study course is open for enrollment to veterinarians and veterinary support staff actively interested in handling and restraint medium-sized and large dogs. This course is open to VIN and VSPN members only.
Accreditation: This non-interactive course is approved for 1 hour of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-842047)
Course Agenda: Module 1: Handling and Restraining Medium-sized and Large Dogs with Skill and Ease
Total Time: 69 minutes
Video: 69 minutes
Module 2: End of Course Test
Total Time: 10 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course. Module 3: Course Evaluation
To learn more about the requirements for earning a Self Study CE certificate, please refer to Self Study CE Certificate Requirements.
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $23
*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. Enrollment qualifications for Self Study CE:
- VIN CE Courses:
- VIN CE courses are open to VIN members.
- Veterinary support staff must be VSPN members in order to enroll in a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- VSPN CE Courses:
- VSPN CE courses are open to veterinary support staff and veterinarians.
- Only VIN and VSPN members can enroll in a VSPN CE course.
- Veterinarians will only receive credit for those VSPN CE courses that specify in the Accreditation statement that the course is accredited for veterinarians.
- Please check the course Level and Prerequisites, Accreditation, and Tuition before enrolling.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org
and @vin.com addresses.
- Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN@vin.com. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
Course withdrawal and refund policy: A complete refund of the paid course price will be issued when your withdrawal request is received prior to starting the course. If you wish to withdraw after you have started this self-study course, please contact the VSPN office 800-846-0028, ext. 797 to discuss eligibility for a pro-rated refund. *For more information on VIN's upcoming CE courses, check the VIN Course Catalog. Katherine James, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (SAIM)
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357