Course Open: July 1, 2022-June 30, 2023
Total CE Credit: 1.5
RACE Category: 1.5 hours Medical
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $35
Are you routinely scruffing, stretching, or struggling with cats, or do you find that you have difficulty with hyperactive, fearful, or aggressive dogs? Learn Low Stress Handling™ techniques that apply to even the most difficult patients. From creating a calm, inviting environment, to using towel wrap techniques, to multiple methods for handling pets of different sizes and temperaments, you'll learn principles and techniques that will allow you to adjust to the patient's needs. Put it all together and you'll create a more Pet-Friendly hospital. Looking for more Sophia Yin behavior courses? Consider enrolling in Low Stress Handling® Silver Certification. A comprehensive review of ten individual courses, including Low Stress Handling® and Restraint of Difficult Dogs and Cats (BHVR902). Participants will learn to understand and improve the individual's or hospital's ability to create a low stress environment and handle animals in a less stressful manner. Enroll in Low Stress Handling® Silver Certification and receive 15% bundle discount compared to the cost of individual courses. More information/enrollment: Low Stress Handling® Silver Certification Self Study To earn a certificate of completion the participant must complete all learning modules and score 80% or better on the end-of-course test. Completion of the course will take a minimum of 82 minutes. Participants must complete the participation requirements by June 30, 2023 to be eligible for a certificate. To learn more about the requirements for earning a Self Study CE certificate, please refer to Self Study CE Certificate Requirements.
Upon completion of the course, the participant should be able to
- recognize how the sights, sounds, smells, and surfaces in your practice may be increasing stress in your patients.
- create a calm, safe, and secure environment for patients in your practice.
- understand how every interaction, how you approach animals, pick them up, move them from place to place, or restrain them will affect the animal's perception of you and his willingness to cooperate.
Level and Prerequisites: This basic VIN CE self-study course is open for enrollment to veterinarians and veterinary support staff actively interested in low stress handling. This course is open to VIN and VSPN members only.
Accreditation: This non-interactive course is approved for 1.5 hours of continuing education credit by RACE for veterinarians and veterinary technicians/technologists. (RACE 20-842037)
Course Agenda: Module 1: Low Stress Handling™ and Restraint of Difficult Dogs and Cats
Total Time: 72 minutes
Video: 72 minutes
Module 2: End of Course Test
Total Time: 10 minutes
Successful completion (scoring 80% or better) on the end-of-course test is required to earn a certificate of completion for the course.
Module 3: Course Evaluation
Tuition: VIN/VSPN Member $35
*For more information on how online CE works, see the Participant Resource Center. Enrollment qualifications for Self Study CE:
- VIN CE Courses:
- VIN CE courses are open to VIN members.
- Veterinary support staff must be VSPN members in order to enroll in a VIN CE course open to VSPN member enrollment.
- VSPN CE Courses:
- VSPN CE courses are open to veterinary support staff and veterinarians.
- Only VIN and VSPN members can enroll in a VSPN CE course.
- Veterinarians will only receive credit for those VSPN CE courses that specify in the Accreditation statement that the course is accredited for veterinarians.
- Please check the course Level and Prerequisites, Accreditation, and Tuition before enrolling.
- Each enrollee must be able to receive emails from @vspn.org
and @vin.com addresses.
- Email is our major form of communication with participants; personal emails are highly recommended rather than clinic/hospital email addresses.
- For further assistance call 800-846-0028 ext. 797 or email CEonVIN@vin.com. Please include the course title, your full name, and contact information in your correspondence.
Course withdrawal and refund policy: A complete refund of the paid course price will be issued when your withdrawal request is received prior to starting the course. If you wish to withdraw after you have started this self-study course, please contact the VSPN office 800-846-0028, ext. 797 to discuss eligibility for a pro-rated refund. *For more information on VIN's upcoming CE courses, check the VIN Course Catalog. Katherine James, DVM, PhD, DACVIM (SAIM)
VIN Education Director VIN CE Services: CEonVIN
800-846-0028 or 530-756-4881; ext. 797
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from the United Kingdom: 01 45 222 6154
or direct line to VIN/VSPN from Australia: 02 6145 2357