|Main : Course Catalog : NAVLE Review and Preparation|
MULT205-0908: NAVLE Review and Preparation
Enrollment will open for this course in early September 2008.
Steven I. McLaughlin, DVM, MPH, ACVPM
Waiva A.Worthley, DVM
Lisle George, DVM, Ph.D, DACVIM � for Wk 2: Bovine
Bob Doneley, BVSc, FACVSc (Avian Health) � for Wk 3: Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Poultry, Pet Birds, and Other Small Animals
Emily Graves, VMD, MS, DACVIM � for Wk 4: Equine
Katherine James, DVM, Ph.D, DACVIM � for Wk 5: Feline
Laura Ridge Cousins, DVM, MS, DACVIM � for Wk 6: Canine
September 28 - November 16, 2008
Interactive sessions: Sundays, September 28, October 5, 12, 19, 26, November 2 and 9; 8:00 - 10:00 pm ET (USA)
This is a seven-session course to help senior veterinary students and veterinarians prepare for the North American Veterinary Licensing Exam (NAVLE�).
Organized by species, each 2-hour session will highlight the "Top 20" diseases and conditions encountered by practitioners in the US and Canada. All sessions will include multiple-choice questions similar to those that candidates will encounter on the NAVLE�.
The questions will lead to a brief discussion and summary of each condition in a distilled format. A selection of library materials will be made generally available in the Student Center.
We will cover NAVLE� study plans and exam strategies and provide strategies for reviewing topics not covered in the "Top 20s." The last session will include a mock examination.
Through the course, participants will get:
Week 1 (Sunday, September 28): Strategy for NAVLE� Preparation; Review of Public Health, Calculations, Toxicology, Epidemiology & Other Topics
Week 2 (Sunday, October 5): Bovine Top 20 NAVLE� Review
Week 3 (Sunday, October 12): Pigs, Sheep, Goats, Poultry, Pet Birds, and Other Small Animals Review
Week 4 (Sunday, October 19): Equine Top 20 NAVLE� review
Week 5 (Sunday, October 26): Feline Top 20 NAVLE� review
Week 6 (Sunday, November 2): Canine Top 20 NAVLE� review
Week 7 (Sunday, November 9): Mock Exam & Last Minute Tips
MESSAGE BOARD DISCUSSIONS:
Discussions will begin on the start date of the course and will continue for 7 days following the last real time session.
CE HOURS: 0
(This course does not qualify for AAVSB RACE approval)
Senior Vet Students/$50, which may be later applied as credit to your first CE course enrollment as a graduate veterinarian.*
Member/$123, Non-Member/$197 by September 14, 2008;
Member/$137, Non-Member/$219 after September 14, 2008.
Please type into the comment box of your registration form (on the last page) the month and year you plan on taking the NAVLE.
* Priority will be given to senior veterinary students who are taking the November NAVLE (particularly those students who have already taken and did not pass the NAVLE) and veterinarians taking the NAVLE. Please do not enroll if you are a veterinary student unless you are in your final year of school.
Enrollment will be limited to 350 registrants. This class filled quickly last time it was offered: students and veterinarians interested in the structured active learning provided through real-time sessions and message boards should register now to ensure a "seat" in class. Please enroll only if planning on attending all real-time sessions and fully participating in the course.
No registration beyond VIN membership is required to have access to course materials using the VIN Student Center.
Required Textbook: None
Recommended Textbooks for further study:
For texts available in the VIN bookstore, be sure to login to receive your member discount.
- Guide to Bovine Clinics, 4th ed., Pasquini & Pasquini - 2005
- Guide to Equine Clinics, 3rd ed., Pasquini, Pasquini and Woods
- Tschauner's Guide to Small Animal Clinics, 2nd ed., Pasquini, Pasquini
- Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook 6th ed., Plumb - 2008
Available in the VIN bookstore: https://store.vin.com/custom/list.asp?k=plumb%27s+6th
- The 5-Minute Veterinary Consult, 3rd ed. Tilley and Smith - 2003
Available in the VIN bookstore:
- Duncan and Prasse's Veterinary Laboratory Medicine: Clinical Pathology, 4th ed. Latimer, Prasse, Mahaffey - 2003
Available in the VIN bookstore: https://store.vin.com/custom/edit.asp?p=82513
- Large Animal Internal Medicine (National Veterinary Medical Series for Independent Study), 1st ed. Pringle, Ihle, Lofstedt, Nieginski and Ogilvie - 1998
- Small Animal Internal Medicine (National Veterinary Medical Series for Independent Study), 1st ed. Shaw & Ihle - 1996
- Toxicology (National Veterinary Medical Series for Independent Study), 1st ed. Osweiller - 1996
- Guide to Equine Clinics-LAMENESS vol 2, 2nd ed. Pasquini, Pasquini, Jann and Bahr - 1995
- Guide to Equine Clinics-LAMENESS DIAGNOSIS vol 3, 1st ed. Pasquini, Pasquini, Jann and Bahr - 1995
- Handbook of Pig Medicine, 1st ed., Jackson and Cockcroft 2007
For More Information on VIN's Upcoming CE Courses, check out http://www.VIN.com/CE/Catalog.htm
"This course does not qualify for AAVSB RACE approval; This course does not qualify for CE credit. Call VIN at 1-800-700-4636 for further information."
COURSE WITHDRAWAL AND REFUND POLICY: Withdrawal prior to the listed start date of a course entitles the registrant to a complete refund or a credit toward a future VIN CE course, whichever is preferred. Withdrawal within 1 week after the listed start date (i.e. including no more than one real-time session) entitles the registrant to a credit toward any future VIN CE course. (Does not apply to courses with only one real-time session.) After the first real-time session, a registrant may withdraw due to special circumstances and receive prorated credit towards a future VIN course. These requests will be handled on an individual basis. The amount of the prorated credit will be determined based on 65% of the time remaining in the course at the time of withdrawal. It is not possible to withdraw retroactively.
Note: To ensure rapid handling of your request for withdrawal, we recommend that you call the VIN office at 1-800-700-INFO.
Continual Education Division
Veterinary Information Network
777 West Covell Blvd, Davis, CA 95616
Copyright 2002, Veterinary Information Network, Inc.